Monday, December 1, 2008

Return from Ohio

I first just want to tell everyone thank you for all of your advice. It helped me not only know what to plan for, but also to know that other people had gone through it and survived so I would probably be okay! Ha-ha! The girls didn't like their ears popping on the airplane and Kyler cried a lot when he got tired, but besides that the plane rides weren't too bad. I would strongly advise people flying with kids to fly in the evening, though. Our flight back left at about 7:00 p.m. and it seemed much easier traveling at night, when it was dark on the plane. I was so excited to get home and post a whole slide show of our trip! But then I realized we had left our memory card for our camera in Ohio. We borrowed another memory card from my sister that we made it home with, but it only has the last quarter of our trip, so you'll have to wait and see all the pictures, but I posted a couple of the highlights of the final leg of the trip: This is Nate, Nikosha, and Katelyn in the Sacred Grove in Palmyra, New York. The Sacred Grove is the place Joseph Smith went to pray about which church he should join when Heavenly Father and Jesus appeared to him. We had the opportunity to visit some great church history sites, but the Sacred Grove was definitely the most peaceful (even with all our kids there). If anyone wants to know more about our church, there is a great informative web-site you can visit: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints This is Nikosha in front of Niagra Falls on the Canada side. I've only been out of the country one other time and that was to Tijuana, Mexico for a couple of hours. It was so fun to go to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. We stayed in a hotel that had an indoor water park. That was fun for all ages!! It was really cold outside so we only did a beautiful drive-by of the falls all lit up at night and then a quick 15-minute stop where we jumped out and took pictures. (We would have had to park and pay $20 and then walk about a mile with all the kids, so we opted for the quick view.) This is Nate, me, and Kyler's little head sticking out of my jacket. We're standing on the road in between Joseph Smith's two houses and behind us you can see the Palmyra temple. I don't know if you can see the temple when there are leaves on the trees or not, but we were glad we got to see it because we were there on Sunday, so the temple gates were closed. This is quite the crew at Burger King! This is my family, Jenny (my sister), Blake (her husband), and their 3 kids, and Trent Buttars (Nate's good friend growing up, who is also going to dental school), Amanda (his wife), and their 2 boys. I think with this crazy crew we ran everyone else out of Burger King, so we got the place to ourselves. We had so much fun getting to see the Jones' and Buttars'! This is a little bit smaller crew at the Hill Cumorah visitor's center in front of the Christ statue. (The Hill Cumorah is where Joseph Smith got the gold plates that he translated into the Book of Mormon.) We were gone for 9 days and had such an awesome time, but we were also very glad to get back home! As soon as Jenny sends me my memory card, I'll get some more pictures posted of our trip. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Blake Jones said...

WOW that sounds like a great trip! I hope you had a ton of fun in the cold snow belt of Ohio! You guys were a ton of fun, thanks for coming out!

Kelly said...

What a cool experience!