Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ohio, Here We Come!!

So, we're taking our first flying vacation EVER as a family!! Nate and I are taking all four kids and we're flying to Ohio to go see my sister, Jenny, and her family. We're super-excited, but pretty nervous about the unknown. So if anyone has any advice on vacationing with kids, flying with kids, the sites to see in Ohio, or anything else, let me know. Should I pack three different backpacks, one for each flight, or pack a different backpack for each of the kids? Should I even pack backpacks or use rolling suitcases? Should I pack a diaper bag or is that a pain? Should I pack a ton of snacks...or not? Take a stroller or a baby carrier... or both? So many decisions to make. Nate thinks I'm crazy to try to plan all this kind of stuff, but I just want to be prepared so it's not stressful. So, let us know any advice you have!!

5 comments:

JENNY said...

YOU'RE BRAVE! DAVE AND I ARE TAKING THE KIDS TO CALIFORNIA TO GO TO SAN DIEGO FOR A WEEK LONG VACATION IN APRIL. YOU'LL HAVE TO LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!

Tera said...

Having traveled with 4 kids alone, the best advice I can give is simplify!! Try to take as little as possible because you have to keep track of so many little people. Use your two Big girl helpers and you will be amazed how awesome they are. A stroller over a baby carrier, snacks that compact (fruit snacks, cheese sticks, cheerios and sippy cups saved us) And tell your man there is nothing wrong with being prepared, Shaun always gives me a hard time for over planning, but my trips go smoothly. You may want to take a baby carrier as a back-up if it fits, sometimes littler kids get tired and putting them in the stroller is helpful, it really is a long trip.
As far as the sites to see, check out the Outlet Mall, we miss it, Amish Country is Fabulous (Mrs. Yoder's kitchen great restuarant), the lights are cool if you'll be there for them and taking the tram into downtown is always an adventure. We hope you guys have an awesome trip and we wish were still there to see you all. p.s. can you email me your new address teralynrocknak@yahoo.com. THANKS

Tera said...

Hey this is Shaun,

I had to comment, because my wife obviously has no idea what she is talking about. She forgot to tell you about the most important tool. BENADRYL!!! You have to love those side effects. Benadryl will sedate your kids, and make them so drowsy they will sleep the whole way. Just make sure to pack enough for yourself just in case it doesn’t work on the kids that way you will be so sedated you won’t care what your children are doing. Make those flight attendants earn their pay check!

Sites to see:
-Church sites of coarse (Kirtland, John Johnson farm)
-Amish country (You have to stop by Mrs. Yoders Kitchen, and get the Broasted Chicken, it rocks!)
-Cavs/Browns game
-Definitely skip the Outlet mall, its useless!
-Little Italy (There are some decent restaurants there)
-Cleveland Zoo (The Idaho Falls Zoo seasons pass gets you in free here and Vice Versa) Just be careful at the Orangutan exhibit, or you might be explaining the birds and the bees sooner than you would like, their horny little boogers.
-There is something going on every weekend there (i.e. Rib cook-off’s, Strawberry festival, Christmas light lighting, Parades….)

Say hi to Blake and Jenny for us!

Tai said...

My advice would be to take your baby in a front pack. this gives you free hands to deal with everything else. I would also not take many "things" to play with. Just a few snacks and maybe some coloring books. I always took a little portable dvd player when I would fly with the kids by myself and it was really easy. The more you pack on the plane the harder it is to go through baggage check. It really isn't as bad as it would seem. believe me, I don't do things that are hard and i did it all the time!

romanrobertaloftus said...

The only thing that I want to say is: Doesn't matter how much you plan, it's always stressful to travel with small kids!
I know... you don't have a Caleb with you, but be prepared for the drama...
(It's pretty obvious that our last trip to Brasil as a family was a complete disaster!!)
I hope you guys have a great time in Ohio!! See you on Thanksgiving!